Exercise: How to Stay Motivated
Something unrelated to real estate --
Today, I received my 208 Week Streak Award from Peloton - I have not missed a single week since I received my bike 4 years ago. There are definitely some days that I would prefer skipping my exercise routine, but I hop on and pedal through it. And afterward, I feel great and I am thrilled I decided to do it. So how do you make sure to stay motivated -- here are some of my ideas:
- Change your exercise routine every four to six weeks by trying a new activity or changing your intensity or time.
- Write down your goals and review them daily.
- Use photos as a visual aid, i.e., a picture of yourself at your ideal weight pasted on the refrigerator door.
- Schedule exercise as you would a business meeting, a doctor’s appointment, or other non-negotiable activity.
- If you can’t get in your full exercise time, break it up into 10-minute increments. March in place while watching TV. Run up and down your stairs 20 times. Take the dog for a short walk.
- Wear a pedometer. Challenge yourself to get in a certain amount of steps per day (experts say 10,000 per day is the average of fit people).
- Find an accountability buddy or group. On the days your motivation lags, your friend(s) can be your cheering section. When they’re feeling lazy, you can talk them into working out.
And even if you are exercising in the house where no one will see you, throw on your great work-out clothes - it also helps motive!